Lip Dub Reflection and Video

Lyndsey Matherne

I was told to be honest in this reflection and in all honestly I have not watched the Lip Dub. I don’t know if that is rude or wrong, but I feel if I watch it it’ll only upset me. I was extremely excited about lip dub, but now due to some unfortunate events thinking about it brings me down. I feel as if all the work my class and I had done building up to Lip Dub did not account for anything because we were not the ones who got to enjoy being apart of the part we worked so hard to accomplish. It is not something we can go back in time and re-do. We don’t get another lip dub. That was it and we didn’t even get a chance to enjoy because we were pushed out of the way basically. I hate to be a person who complains, but in all honestly I feel it was wrong that AM did not even get a chance to film or help during the filming process of the video. Sure maybe some students may not have cared about Lip Dub as much as others did, but that is no excuse to punish those who did work hard and actually cared about this video.

In my opinion on one hand I do feel that the Lip Dub promotes Satellite Center, but on the other I do not feel it does. Yes the video shows all of the kids who go to Satellite Center and yes it shows the different classes but that is from a outside viewpoint. From behind the scenes this video does not represent Satellite Center. This video was suppose to be a display of us coming together, working with one another, but during the filming there was none of that. It was not an intentional thing on the AM side, but rather because we were not allowed to help. The first half of the Lip Dub was for the AM class to film. Each and everyone of the students in the morning class all did our part to get ready for Lip Dub along with some students putting in a little extra. We understood it was a hard project and worked for it. For the most part we all got our particular class straight with what was going on and relayed information back and forth. We put in the same amount of work that PM could have put into their part. We all had to come up with song choices and plan out a map that went along with it. Just because our song choice was not chosen does not mean we did not do anything to help plan out lip dub. One of our members, Kat, song choice and idea to transition to the upstairs part of the video was in there. Bryant and myself helped come up with transitions. I filmed the mock version of the Lip Dub along with the help of everyone in the class when it came to the class they were assigned to. Everyone helped one another throughout presentations. There was a lot of planning and work that went into this video which AM did do. When it came down to filming we were irrelevant and not needed. Some of the AM students and myself were highly upset about this. PM filmed our part despite the fact that they had to learn how to do that part that day. AM already knew the route and what to do where, but did not get to film. This is why I do not believe it represents Satellite Center. We were not allowed to even try to film. We were not given a chance or an explanation. We just got pushed out of the way and basically did nothing. It was unfair all round and does not show what Satellite Center is. It is supposed to be a place where we learn by doing the things we are trying to learn. It is supposed to be a place where we grow from helping each other. It was like this up until it came to filming.

The process was fine, I did not find anything wrong with it. From the beginning when we came up with song choices right down to the end when the video was filmed was apart of a good schedule. I enjoyed collaborating as a class on song choices. It was fun and we had a good time. At first nobody really had an idea for song choices, but as people would name songs a light bulb would go off in another’s head. I felt everyone was really creative with their choices and we even had a laugh at some odd songs. I don’t believe the process could have went smoother than what it did, thus being said I do not have any better ifs for it.

Next year when doing this video my suggestion is to treat all students fairly. Remember that this class is for students who want to learn to make videos. For students who want to be apart of these sorts of things. Don’t take opportunities away from the students who want to do just that. The only thing I feel you should change about next year is not having the two classes contact one another. I saw no reason why that had to happen this year and because it did happen, there was a dispute of sorts. Just let AM do there thing and PM do theres. If you have trust in your students I am sure they won’t let you know. Be fair to them and then they will work hard to make you proud. Don’t take opportunities and experiences that they can’t get back from them. Hello to whichever future ATVB member who will be reading this. There may not be someone reading this who knows. Well here’s my advice for Lip Dub, if you have fun and get your work done it is not stressful. I was told Lip Dub planning was suppose to be super stressful, but in all honestly it wasn’t to me. Just keep an open mind and work hard.