Coach Robicheaux is LHSAA October Sportsman of the Month

Asia Jupiter, Staff Writer

“Sportsmanship must be learned,” according to the LHSAA. “Unfortunately, we are not born with sophisticated sportsmanship qualities, therefore, it must be taught.” Coaches are the teacher of “Sportsmanship 101” to their players.

One parent in the Terrebonne High School Band felt that Destrehan Wildcats Head Coach Steven Robicheaux has taught his team exceptionally well and that’s why he was nominated and selected as the LHSAA October Sportsman of the Month.

Each month, the LHSAA ask for nominations from people around the community to help recognize students, coaches, teachers, faculty, boosters, fans, etc., for all that do to supports and promote sportsmanship.

After the Wildcats secured a 47-21 victory over the Terrebonne Tigers, coach Robicheaux had his team take a knee in the end zone and watch the Terrebonne Crimson Pride band’s performance. A Crimson Pride parent, who quickly sent in coach Robicheaux as his nomination, noticed this class act.
Rob Pic 2
“Coaches should teach their athletes to play with not only fairness but with courteousness and gracefully accept the results of the end of a game. Coach need to display these same characteristics so the athlete can demonstrate them properly and know that the coach means business about good sportsmanship,” according to the LHSAA.

The Terrebonne Band parent who nominated Coach Robichaux said in an email, “We band parents do greatly appreciate your football team’s class and respect toward our Crimson Pride band. After your game on Friday night, not only did you have your team watch Terrebonne’s band perform, your guys all took a knee and showed us the respect you and your staff demand.”

Showing an opponent and their support group that kind of respect is just another added attribute to his many good deeds and that is why Coach Steven Robicheaux was nominated for and selected as LHSAA October Sportsman of the Month.