Tigers Strong, But Struggle

Photos by: Elizabeth Cox

Parker Gerard Peltier, Staff Writer

Hahnville has always been a powerhouse in Louisiana High School football, however, up until the 2014 season the Tigers had been in a major slump since winning the state championship in 2003. The 2003 team produced a plethora of Division-1 football players, as well as, future NFL standouts. After the end of the Valdin era at Hahnville the school brought in Coach Nick Saltaformagio and he led the Tigers to the quarterfinals in the 2014 LHSAA 5A state playoffs where they lost to Destrehan.

Coach Salt entered into the 2015 season with sky-high expectations and has delivered against the odds after the departure of the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, as well as, the multiple changes in the offensive scheme, four to be exact. The Tigers come into the “Battle on the River” at 2-1, with their only loss coming from Riverside last week. The Tigers sport a stout secondary, developing run defense and a “three headed monster” rushing attack, as described by coach Salt. Not to mention the more than occasional big play in the passing game, as seen against Patterson with two 50 plus yard touchdown passes by Mike Neal.

Hahnville’s defense is strong in the secondary, but is also powerful against the rush, and when a team gets one dimensional on the Tigers it can spell trouble. The Tigers have multiple DBs that are a threat to pick off any pass that comes their way: Peyton Robert, Jemonte Williams, and Eric Gilmore just to name a few. The front line of the Tigers more than supports the secondary with multiple sacks per game, a product of quick in game adjustments to get pressure on the quarterback.

Although the box score does not show it Hahnville’s defense played extremely well against riverside last week with a red zone stand in the first quarter, a blocked field goal at eh end of the first half, and a fourth down stand, which led to their only touchdown of the game. Hanville’s run defense seemed to take a step back against riverside on Friday night; Riverside’s third string quarterback was able to take anything he wanted in the rushing attack. Some of these struggles could be the result of the limited play of senior defensive linemen Jacob Plache, but Hahnville was able to get little to no pass rush and no push in the running game.

Hahnville is on its fourth offensive scheme of the 2015 season the tigers are now running a pro-style offense that incorporates both the option and plays from the wildcat formation. The addition of tight ends has added protection for quarterback Mike Neal and added another outlet of offensive production. However, Hahnville still is a run first football team with a four deep rushing attack featuring Anthony Williams, Drew Dunn, Devonte Clark, and Norquel Flowers. These backs have combined for 100 plus rushing yards in every game this season.

With Destrehan’s early season struggles against the run and the big play Hahnville’s quick striking offense could spell trouble for the Wildcats. Along with the tigers secondary strengths the wildcats could have some major struggles if the tigers defensive backs limit Justin Jefferson and John Williams.

I’m predicting a close game between Hahnville and Destrehan with Hahnville coming out on top 24-21.