NFL Legend Ed Reed Returns to Destrehan High

Asia Jupiter, Staff Writer

Former Baltimore Ravens safety and Super Bowl XLVII champion Ed Reed presented Destrehan High School with a commemorative Wilson Golden Football on Friday night before the Wildcats participated in a district rivalry game against the East St. John Wildcats.

IMG_9497The Super Bowl High School Honor Roll recognizes schools and communities that have positively impacted the game of football and contributed to Super Bowl history.

High Schools around the world recieved the Golden Football for every player or head coach who graduated from their school and were on an active Super Bowl roster. Nearly 3,000 players and head coaches, and more that 2,000 high schools, were recognized. Players and Coaches had the opportunity to deliver the footballs personally.

IMG_9489Reed addressed the football players and their families on what high school football meant to him and life lessons he learned.

“Without you guys supporting your kids…I was once one of these kids out here on this field”, Reed said.  “I know there were many people in the community, that supported me…not just the school”.

He also expressed how proud he was to be a Destrehan alumni and how much the community played a major role in his success.

“There were people in the community, you know, that helped out, that gave a positive word, that pointed me in the right direction, so I thank you for coming out, supporting your kids” Reed expressed. “Continue doing that. That’s big. We need it.”

IMG_9493He presented the football to Wildcats Head Coach Stephen Robicheaux, and principal, Stephen Weber.

“Our kids are our future, especially kids at Destrehan” Reed joked.

He even recognized East St. John and how they contributed to his success as well.

“I played against East St. John and ya’ll are a big part of my success than anything too”.

Destrehan High School is one of the 76 high schools in Louisiana that is being recognized in this program. Louisiana received 103 golden footballs. The state that received the most golden footballs is California, who received 432.